What is Castor Oil Packing?
Castor oil packs involve the use of a cloth soaked in castor oil which is placed on the skin. It’s used to enhance circulation and to promote the healing of the tissues and organs underneath the skin. A castor oil heat pack is usually used for this. Apply the same method in making castor oil packs for endometriosis. Alternative practitioners also use it to improve liver function, relieve pain, reduce inflammation, and to improve digestion. This is a holistic, safe traditional approach to supporting and healing conditions of the reproductive system as the process restores vitality and nutrition to the pelvic region as well as improving congestion, blood stagnation and cyst formation within the uterus. It is not advisable to use castor oil pack during period.
Who would benefit from Castor Oil Packing?
Those who suffer from any of the following:
- Painful heavy periods
- Dark or brown menstrual blood through their period
- Scar tissue within the reproductive organs
- Pelvic congestion
- Pelvic Inflammatory disease
For Best Results here’s what you need
- Three layers of undyed wool, hemp or cotton flannel large enough to cover your abdomen and womb region (keep in mind this method is used on other parts of the body too if necessary)
- Castor oil
- Reusable medical grade silicone sheet. I like this one: Silicon Mat
- Hot water bottle
- Glass container with a lid (for soaking your cloths)
- Old clothes and towel. Castor oil will stain clothing and bedding and furniture.
OPTIONAL But highly Recommended
- Clary Sage Essential oils in a carrier oil
Performing your Packing
- Apply the Clary Sage Essential oil to your lower abdomen and any other areas you experience period pain (if you have this blend) Clary sage is fine on its own if that’s all you have.
- Place the material/cloth in the container. Soak it in castor oil so that it is saturated, but not dripping.
- Place the oil-soaked cloth (the pack) over the lower abdomen or affected body part.
- Cover with your silicone mat or plastic cling wrap can be used but not ideal.
- Place the hot water bottle over the pack. Leave it on for 45-60 minutes. Rest while the pack is in place.
After removing the pack, cleanse the area with a dilute solution of water and baking soda or simply have a shower.
Store the pack in the covered container in the refrigerator. Each pack may be reused up to 25-30 times.
- If you suffer from extreme period pain or have Endometriosis, fibroids or cysts, combine this treatment with the Balanced Babes Infrared Healing device which will enhance the healing effects and dramatically improve circulation, pain relief and break down of scar tissue.
- Use this time to go within, meditate and journal, connecting with your womb and listening to what your body needs.
Cautions to keep in mind
- Castor oil does stain so ensure you are performing the packing laying on an old towel or sheet
- Do not perform castor oil packing while Pregnant, breastfeeding, or during menstruation.
- Castor oil should not be taken internally.
- It should not be applied to broken skin.
Castor oil hasn’t been tested for safety and keep in mind that the safety of supplements in pregnant women, nursing mothers, children, and those with medical conditions or who are taking medications has not been established.